Hey all I realize I have been MIA for a while. I’m not sure why but this move has taken the longest ever to get settled after. I’ve moved over 10 times in my adult life, so I feel that statement says a lot.
Anyways, things are FINALLY getting settled and the kitchen is actually usable. So the hubs and I are trying to get back to cooking our meals, as apposed to eating out every day. So it seems fitting that my first post back to be a recipe.
My goal was to try and make something from what we already had. That was beans, lentil and lots of crushed tomatoes, thank you Costco. I wanted something warm as it is starting to get colder. So I decided to make chili with lentils instead of meat.
The result was FANTASTIC! I’m actually not much of a chili person. Anything tomato based tends to give me wicked acid reflux, but this didn’t! And it was super yummy! Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups cooked lentils
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- 3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 3 tbsp chili (add more if you like it spicy)
- Cook lentils and beans, if using dry.
- Heat up pot to medium, add oil
- When hot add onions cook until translucent
- Add garlic and cook for additional minute
- Add peppers, cook until tender
- In a separate pot mix together tomatoes, honey, cocoa powder, salt, paprika, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Bring to a simmer.
- When lentils and beans are cooked mix all ingredients together, let simmer for 30 mins.
- Serve and add your favourite topping! Options include cheese, sour cream, and fresh cilantro.